This “Sight Line” is provided as a supplement to Chapter 13 of 20/20 Mind Sight, “Nothing Intelligent” – Act Up. For maximum benefit, please read the chapter prior to completing the exercise.
Sight Line: Entertain Yourself
This entire book is focused on personal reflection and self-knowledge and that same approach works well in regard to “Acting Up” in your own life. Think about your day-to-day activities and articulate how you do – or how you can – incorporate some silliness into the routine. Silliness that serves two purposes: delivering moments of joy and reaffirming your personal brand and perspective on life. To get you started, Jillian and Phil are publicly sharing three ways they get a daily dose of the sillies.
- I’m big on exchanging high-fives with people “just because.” As high-fives are typically celebratory, offering a high-five for no particular reason is a fun way to say hello; and it elicits a smile and sense of micro-community 99.9% of the time.
- I love to make up absurd lyrics to the tune of well-known songs. And as a corollary, I will often insert song lyrics or movie lines to see if the person I’m speaking with catches on.
- I have been known to break out dance moves in public settings like the pharmacy, grocery store, or Home Depot when a good tune comes on – and I love when someone catches me doing it and joins in.
- Despite having the worst singing voice in the history of humankind, I love to break out into opera-mode and infuse the most mundane verbal interactions – “Pass the butter please” – with joyous passion.
- All the females in my life share the same middle name – Marie. It began with my wife and daughter and continues with our Labrador retrievers: Ruby Marie, Riley Marie, and Maisy Marie.
- As the owner of a Jeep Wrangler, I’m always on the lookout for other Wrangler drivers in order to share the Jeep Wave. The other owner might be diametrically opposed to everything I believe in, but for that moment in time we’re simpatico brothers (or brother and sister). It’s a fun and silly tradition that I embrace and cherish.
Now let’s see yours.
Chapter 13: “Nothing Intelligent” – Act Up
Updated on 2017-03-17T18:07:17+00:00, by .